Re: Metrics for Management

From: Vince Laurent <vlaurent_at_NOSPAM.networkusa.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:55:15 -0500

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 00:03:07 -0500, "David Van Zandt" <dvanzandt_at_iquest.net> wrote:

>Can we talk? Without sounding like a gaggle of geeks at a trade show, at
>least long enough to realize what a golden opportunity this could be?

Thanks...

>2. The suits are not going to be impressed with the kinds of number
>crunching this thread is kicking around; rather, are the customers getting
>excellent service.

Actually, some of the techs will also be looking into this. I have started tracking growth, response time, number of users, checkpoint rate, and memory use. I was also wondering if it would be good to track rollbacks, waiting for locks, and swaps (disk and memory). These metrics will also be used for planning for growth and expenditures (already pointed out we need more RAM on the system).

>Here's what we try to provide in terms of service-level-agreements (SLA).
>all of which are suitable for the green / yellow / red light approach.

Thanks for a starter point too. I think I will ask if we can go with that (sort of the same way SAP does thier service reports).

Vince Received on Fri Jul 19 2002 - 11:55:15 CDT