Re: CHAR or CAR Survey

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:52:24 GMT

Alan wrote:

> There is always _someone_ who cares. Most literature I've come across
> insists that it is "sequel". I like "sequel" because it is faster to say
> than ess-queue-ell (not that you care <g>).
>
> "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message
> > char.
> >
> > so do you say sequel or ess-queue-ell?
> >
> > And indeed does anybody care.
> >

> > --
> > Niall Litchfield
> > Oracle DBA
> > Audit Commission UK
> > Please include version and platform
> > and SQL where applicable
> > It makes life easier and increases the
> > likelihood of a good answer

> > "Alan" <alanshein_at_erols.com> wrote in message
> > > Just curious...
> > >
> > > I've heard CHAR pronounced as "car" and as "char" (as when you almost
> burn
> > > something). Which do you favor?
> > >
> > > While we're on the subject, in varchar, do you say vare or vahr? I've
> also
> > > heard bothm, though "vahr" seems to be a clear winner. "Vare" seems to
> be
> > > function of accent/dialect.

And now the perspective from the education front.

I intentionally teach with each and every pronounciation so that the students will be familiar with all of them.

And just to make this thread far longer than it ever should have been I'll provide another example where the solution, on my part, is to use them all.

Is it ...

init dot ora
init sid dot ora
'p' file
or
parameter file

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jul 19 2002 - 10:52:24 CDT