Re: CHAR or CAR Survey

From: Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch>
Date: 18 Jul 2002 18:35:19 GMT

> Just curious...
>
> I've heard CHAR pronounced as "car" and as "char" (as when you almost
> burn something). Which do you favor?

Neither. When I pronounce char, I use a ch as in the swiss-german word 'Chuchi Chaeschtli'. Native English speaking persons will have a hard time trying to articulate this. Then again, the same goes for me when I want to say a proper tee aych.

> While we're on the subject, in varchar, do you say vare or vahr? I've
> also heard bothm, though "vahr" seems to be a clear winner. "Vare"
> seems to be a function of accent/dialect.

Interestingly now, I pronounce the ch in varchar as in char (burn). The first part is more of a vahr. Never thought of this befor!

Rene

--
Latest article on my HP (as of 14.07.2002):
  Transforming each character in a string with perl