Re: filter on return results

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:59:33 +0200

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 11:37:09 +0200, Jean-Max Reymond <jmreymond_at_nospam.free.fr> wrote:

>Daniel Morgan wrote:
>> Jean-Max Reymond wrote:
>>

>>>to enforce confidentiality of the informations in my oracle database, I
>>>am looking for a way to return informations ONLY if conditions are OK.
>>>for example, on a SELECT request, return rows only if there at least 3
>>>rows selected, otherise nothing is returned.
>>>request are going from ODBc connections or sqlplus tool.
>>

>> Lets see what is missing that might be useful to someone trying to help
>> you.
>>
>> 1. The Oracle version
>
>Oracle 8 or 9
>
>> 2. The front-end software application
>
>no specifics applications. it may be ODBC drivers (Businness Object,
>Cognos, ...) sqlplus or API's
>
>> 3. Whether the SELECTs are direct to tables or to procedures
>
>The Select's are direct to tables.
>the most useful solution will be a "post SELECT" trigger to filter
>returned rows but unfortunately, it seems that this feature does not
>exist. Another solution will be to overrule the original SELECT with a
>customized SELECT but is it possible ?
>

>> That should be enough to give us some kind of hint. Also include a sample
>> of one of the SQL statements that might reasonably be issued and need to
>> meet this criterion.
>>
>> Daniel Morgan
>>

>for example:
>
>SELECT username from users where username like 'jmax%' return normally
>2 rows
>SELECT username from users return normally 100 users
>
>with my modified SELECT, I want that
>SELECT username from users where username like 'jmax%' return 0 rows
>because my SELECT does not return any rows if the numer of rows < 5 rows
>SELECT username from users return 100 users: no filter

Please look into Fine Grained Access Control if your data is 'sensitive'
Filtering your data after a select will result in wasting resources and is consequently a Very Bad Idea

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Jul 18 2002 - 12:59:33 CDT