Re: Compatible parameter

From: DenHang <reply_toDenHang_at_pi.be>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:58:07 +0200

I'm writing a rather complex query that I've partitionated in several steps. After the first part, I have an intermediate resultset that I need to query in the following step. For several reasons I want(ed) to use temp tables:

Since I hadn't too much time lately, I haven't (yet) been looking for alternatives (eg. PL/SQL, cursors...). If someone could give me a hint of better ways to do this, I would be very gratefull.

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D35A11A.CA9894A6_at_exesolutions.com...
> DenHang wrote:
>
> > When I try to create a temporary table (using CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY
> > TABLE...) I get the following error:
> > ORA-00406: COMPATIBLE parameter needs to be 8.1.0.0.0 or greater
> >
> > I'm getting this error using SQL plus and Pl Sql developer and I
installed
> > Oracle 8i release 3.
> >
> > Is it wise to change that parameter and how can I change it?
> > Is there may-be another way to create temporary tables (eg. like in Ms
Sql
> > where you can create temp tables local to a session using # in front of
the
> > tablename)?
>
> Sybrand is correct about the init parameter. Just keep a backup copy of
your
> initSID.ora file so that you can easily undo any changes if you make a
mistake.

> But in Oracle we rarely, if ever, use temporary tables for anything:
Global
> temporary or otherwise. They are just unnecessary. And that is what
Sybrand was