Re: Compatible parameter

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:54:44 GMT

DenHang wrote:

> When I try to create a temporary table (using CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY
> TABLE...) I get the following error:
> ORA-00406: COMPATIBLE parameter needs to be 8.1.0.0.0 or greater
>
> I'm getting this error using SQL plus and Pl Sql developer and I installed
> Oracle 8i release 3.
>
> Is it wise to change that parameter and how can I change it?
> Is there may-be another way to create temporary tables (eg. like in Ms Sql
> where you can create temp tables local to a session using # in front of the
> tablename)?

Sybrand is correct about the init parameter. Just keep a backup copy of your initSID.ora file so that you can easily undo any changes if you make a mistake.

But in Oracle we rarely, if ever, use temporary tables for anything: Global temporary or otherwise. They are just unnecessary. And that is what Sybrand was refering to when he suggested you stop trying to write TSQL in Oracle.

I can't think of more than two or three times in the last decade I've actually found a need to use a temporary table.

If you think you have a reason why you need one then post it here and let us help you break that bad habit. Remember Oracle does not have SQL Server's weaknesses in locking, blocking, and transaction size.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jul 17 2002 - 11:54:44 CDT