Re: Installation

From: Tweetie Pooh <tp601553_at_cia.gov>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:12:27 GMT

"Kevin Spencer" <orviss_at_mistral.co.uk> honoured comp.databases.oracle.misc on Mon 15 Jul 2002 09:41:22p with news:3d334181$1_at_shiva.ukisp.net:

> I know this sounds lame but how do you start the Oracle server? I
> thought by running sqlplus the server would start. I am new at Oracle
> and have only been playing with it for less than a week, apologies.
>
> The Universal installer asked me what database I wanted to create, I
> chose General purpose and gave it a name so I guess thats OK, but as I
> can go no further at the moment I cannot check.
>
> Whats the syntax to start the server and how would you have it start
> automatically?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Kevin.

Did creation run ok during installation? On solaris it hangs if kernel params are not set.

ensure environment is OK
ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc as per installation manual.

ps -fu oracle (or what ever user owns oracle, NOT root) should show a list of closely named procs ora_????_SID where SID is the oracle sid you selected at creation

as oracle user
sqlplus /nolog
connect / as sysdba
startup
exit

dbca program to create the database
netca to create network settings Received on Tue Jul 16 2002 - 08:12:27 CDT