binding lists/tables as input

From: George Thomas <george_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:38:45 -0400

Hi everyone,
I have the following problem:
I would like to execute an SQL SELECT query involving the IN subclause. The query is operated via a cursor and invoked from a procedure. What goes into the cursor as an argument to the 'IN' is a list of strings. This is all wrapped in a package. My problem is: what should be the type of the argument for the list? I would like to be able to plug in a bind variable, but would also like to not have to generate dynamic SQL by string concatenation. In browsing the documentation and the archives of this group I have encountered clunky solutions as well as hints referring to the DBMS_SQL package as well as TABLE OF ... INDEX BY BINARY_INTEGER. I am still unclear on what would work best. I am using oracle 8.1.5. Any input would be highly appreciated.

george