Re: How to shutdown oracle on LInux

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:03:13 GMT

Andrew Falanga wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As you all might recall, I'm very new to Oracle. I know very
> little about it. I've been told that one method of properly shutting
> down Oracle is to set environment variables called ORACLE_HOME and
> ORACLE_SID. I have both of these set correctly, and I open a connection
> to my oracle instance by doing 'sqlplus system/linux'.
>
> I'm able to attach to the instance just fine, however, everytime I
> enter 'shutdown immediate' I get insufficient privileges. What gives?
>
> Andy

What gives is exactly what the message says. You don't have sufficient privileges to shutdown the database the way you are logged in.

Now you could, of course, go to any of the numerous Oracle support sites and find out why and how to do it. And that is probably the best advice for you since you didn't give us the version number of the Oracle software.

But assuming you have 8i or earlier ... go into server manager (SVRMGRL), type connect internal, and then issue the shutdown.

I could provide you with far more detailed information, including for 9i, but I think you will benefit more from doing the basic research required and familiarizing yourself with the support sites.

http://tahiti.oracle.com
http://technet.oracle.com
http://otn.oracle.com
http://docs.oracle.com

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Jul 11 2002 - 14:03:13 CDT