Re: password encryption for test-tool

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:40:47 GMT

Alexander Wohrer wrote:

> I'm trying to test (a lot of) db's if there are "weak accounts" like
> password=password, password=hostname,....
> For this I need to check the hashes stored in the dba_users table and I
> don't want to
> create users in an test-db with the different passwords to get the needed
> hashcode!
>
> Is there a function which gives me the 16 digit hash code stored in the db
> for a give user-password combination?

If I understand your question ... no.

But in Oracle one can very easily make such passwords impossible to create by creating a PROFILE with a password verification function..

Look in $ORACLE_HOME\rdbms\admin for the file utlpwdmg.sql. This file contains everything you need to accomplish the goal and much more.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Jul 11 2002 - 10:40:47 CDT