Re: own order by

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 19:18:03 GMT

Wolf wrote:

> Is there a way to tell oracle how the "order by" clause orders
> the database entries. (except asc, desc).
> Example:
> I want to sort VARCHAR2 Fields but no by alphabetical order.
> So I want to define that X is the first letter and F ist the second letter
> in order and so on...
>
> Wolf

The best way, of which I am aware, is to create another field and use an after-insert and after-update trigger to load it with the sort order information using TRANSLATE. Thus if you datafield contains XF the hidden field would be loaded with AB. Then, when reporting, do order by based on the hidden field.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 08 2002 - 14:18:03 CDT