Re: Prototyping with or without Oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 15:21:44 GMT

Jacky Luk wrote:

> My boss requires me to build a barcode system to add value to our service we
> provide (Engineering warehouses for logistics company) . This application
> needs massive database operations and requires Oracle or SQL Server as
> backends and some middle tier parts. But Oracle is so expensive, so I intend
> to write a prototype of the barcode system that uses Access instead of
> Oracle. Does anyone know the code can straight port to the client's
> production machine that uses Oracle? Or is there a cheaper version of Oracle
> that facilitates the construction of prototype software?
> Thanks
> Jack
>
> --
> ============================
> Always wear a grin on your face :)
> Ha ha ha ha ha ha.......
>
> Mr. Jacky Luk
>
> ICQ: 140681957
> Messenger: luckiejacky_at_hotmail.com
> Email: luckie_at_netvigator.com
> luckiejacky_at_hotmail.com
> Homepage: http://home.netvigator.com/~luckie

Trying to move anything from Access to Oracle is a joke at best. The relationship between the two pieces of software ends at the level of "marketing fluff."

I would suggest that if your company can not afford to purchase a single-user license for Oracle you probably are in no condition to achieve the level required to develop software and deploy it. At a bare minimum, any Oracle development project is not going to be worth the price of this email if you don't have at least $200,000/yr. worth of staff working on it. Meaning at least one good DBA and one good developer. So my advice to your boss would be either pony up for forget the entire thing.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 08 2002 - 10:21:44 CDT