Re: Tool for visual representation of Oracle output via telnet query

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 22:31:39 +0200

On Sun, 07 Jul 2002 20:52:52 +0200, Oliver Mulatz <oliver.mulatz_at_web.de> wrote:

>Hello fellow DBAs,
>
>I am searching for a visual Oracle tool/client (best would be
>for Windows, Java is ok), thus a client which will output the
>information gathered by telnet session (silly but company
>requirements ...) (no inserts, just selects/views) into a
>visual representation (proper rows and colums alignment/view).
>
>Do you know of any such program ?
>Else I'd only think of coding it in Perl with pipe to telnet and
>writing the output into a file, then another Perl-Script would
>HTML-ize the data from the telnet log into tables again.
>Any thoughts ?
>
>Any help/hint into the right direction is appreciated.
>
>Kind Regards,
>Oliver Mulatz

The right direction is to stop thinking about a telnet implementation where there is sqlnet/net8/oracle net. Telnet is also by design insecure and vulnerable for hacking attempts. The strategy you outline above is likely going to be very fragile.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Jul 07 2002 - 15:31:39 CDT