Re: Suggestions for alternative Development Environment

From: Rauf Sarwar <rsarwar_at_ifsna.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2002 12:49:30 -0700

"John Edwards" <jedwrs_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<3d21fef2_3_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com>...
> Hi,
> just looking for a few pointers on alternative development environments.
>
> A colleague of mine has prototyped a small but useful application using
> oracle forms and running against an oracle database. I think the
> application has potential to be more widely adopted but not as an Oracle
> Forms/DB application as Oracle is just too heavy and over the top for this
> application.
>
> Can anyone suggest an alternative development environment. The application
> only uses 10 tables and 6 views. It has 4 stored procedures which the
> developer says could easily be designed out if necessary. Basically all of
> the application logic and business rules are stored in the form.
>
> Requirements
> * Ideally it would great to develop in an environment where the end result
> could be run as a standalone application with the end user having no
> knowledge or sense of a database running at the back end of it.
>
> * ODBC to any compliant database if the user has the technical ability and
> chooses to take the extra step to set this up.
>
> * Web Aware - ie a version of the application could easily be built that
> would run inside a browser window and read/write all its data from a web
> based database server.
>
> * Simple Installation - something like the 'Wise Installation Wizard' with
> the user just jollying the install process along by clicking 'Yes' to all
> the prompts.
>
> * Small footprint - something with a huge footprint like oracle would kill
> this idea stone dead - it is a simple idea and just doesn't require that
> huge sledgehammer overhead. The final application plus embedded database
> should really stay within say 20Mb and not require the additional
> installation and setup and maintenance of supporting software/runtimes etc.
>
> I know the above is a very general, wide and baggy brief but all suggestions
> and pointers are welcomed. Up until 4 years ago I was an Oracle
> Application Developer but I now work in another industry. The development
> landscape has changed completely since I was working in it and so a few
> pointers would be most welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
>
> JED.
I would say Cloudscape http://www.cloudscape.com probably best suits your needs. It is 100% pure Java SQL database management system. It is a low-overhead, definitely with small footprint, extensible RDBMS that can be embedded in applications.

There are ofcourse other vendors with small footprint databases like DB2 Anywhere (IBM), SqlAnywhere (I believe Sybase), MS Access etc. You can just pick and choose which best suits your needs.

HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Jul 03 2002 - 14:49:30 CDT