Re: Scottish names

From: Eli <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 22:34:25 -0600

I don't think I can answer your last sentiment, but I might suggest a more brute force approach. As diversity has increased so has the different types of names. "MAC" probably can be found in several names other than just Scottish or Irish surnames names. A quick look in the phone book reveals: "Maccario, Macchia, Maccini, Macey, Machado, Maciariello, Macias, ...." . This may be a performance hit for names that begin with Mac, but it shouldn't hurt feasibility.

When examining my own internal algorithm for recognition I find that I had seen the name before with the special capitlization (a list) or the name more closely resembles a name from another country other Ireland or Scotland. But if you wanted a true algorithmic attempt you probably want to start with the soundex algorithm and utilize it to find the Gaelic sounds in some way that would prove the name to be Gaelic in origin.

Another approach is to utilize your generalized algorithm and then use both versions of the surname separated by "or" ! That can tend to impress people that the "system" seems to know something about the name. When the system works, no one notices....except those who are responsible for it.

Anyway here are my first online hits for Scottish names lists:

http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/alphabetical.htm

http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/septs.htm

http://www.users.on.net/proformat/sctnames1d.html

You might seek to find out more about Mac's origins: http://canadasulsterscots.tripod.com/irishandscots2.htm http://www.ireland-information.com/heraldichall/irishsurnames.htm

Good luck!

Eli Received on Sun Jun 30 2002 - 23:34:25 CDT