Re: Best practices

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 00:05:36 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3D1C85F3.61A452DD_at_exesolutions.com...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>
> > I am in the process if reviewing and rewriting our Database Policies
> > documentation. I was wondering if there are any useful best
> > practices/policies documents out there in internet land that might be
useful
> > to me.
> >
> > --
> > Niall Litchfield
> > Oracle DBA
> > Audit Commission UK
> > Please include version and platform
> > and SQL where applicable
> > It makes life easier and increases the
> > likelihood of a good answer

> Likely but I would like to propose my favorite in case you don't find it
> elsewhere.
>
> 1. No piece of code, whether new or upgrade or bug fix goes into
production
> without going through a quality control step in which the testers are
> independent of the department that generated the code.
> 2. No piece of code, whether new or upgrade or bug fix goes into testing
without
> going through a code review conducted by senior developers and attended by
all
> developers on the project.
> 3. No project produces any piece of code without the project having a lead
that
> is truly a senior developer with the language being used and in the
environment
> in which it will be deployed.
>
> These three alone would eliminate 80%+ of the mistakes I see.
>
> Daniel Morgan

I have a question about #2? Doesnt this really slow down productivity? My group has a test team and we have an independent Q/A team that re-tests everything before going into production.

Are you talking about peer reviews for everything? I have done these before and they are incredibly time consuming. Documents, then everyone needs to read them, then a review and questions... Not sure how you can do that for everything.

Is that what you are recommending? Does code review include minor DB tuning changes? Such as new indexes, etc...

Just curious how you do things. Received on Sun Jun 30 2002 - 19:05:36 CDT