Re: PL/SQL and environmental variables

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_pobox.une.edu.au>
Date: 01 Jul 2002 09:10:27 +1000

Mark Rathbun <mark_at_spambitespickerel-lake.net> writes:

> As a developer, should I have known something like this? I've only
> been working with Oracle for about 1 1/4 years but I can't use that
> for an excuse much longer
>
> Or is this something that my DBA's should have known about?

I first started doing oracle development just over 6 months ago, so I think I understand some of what you have been going through. For me, one of the most valuable areas of discovery and most rewarding with oracle has been getting to know all the tables/views which are part of the oracle data dictionary - there is heaps of useful information in these tables and hardly a week goes by where someone in the newsgroups doesn't point out some very valuable piece of info to be found in these tables/views.

In my view, your DBA should have been able to either give you the answer you were after or at least point you in the right direction. The other very valuable resource I have accumulated has been various oracle related URLs.

--
Tim X.