Re: PL/SQL and environmental variables

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:45:58 GMT

Mark Rathbun wrote:

> >> As a developer, should I have known something like this? I've only
> >> been working with Oracle for about 1 1/4 years but I can't use that
> >> for an excuse much longer
> >You can't possibly know something you have not done before or have not
> >come across..Right? Knowledge is acquired over time. There will still
> >be stuff which you won't know even after 10 years. But what you should
> >know after 10 years is where precisely to go and get the information
> >you are looking for.
> What makes the Oracle so frustrating for me is that in my previous
> job, I was working with a DB I had 12 years experience with. So I get
> frustrated when I run across what I consider to be easy things and end
> up having to do a lot of research to find the answer. And I still get
> tripped up by differences in terminology so searches are sometimes
> frustrating, sometimes leading down the wrong path.
>
> >Add comp.databases.oracle and some other Oracle newsgroups in your
> >favorites folder.
> I've been more or less lurking in here for the last year. A lot of
> good information gets passed around in here.
>

> >> Or is this something that my DBA's should have known about?
> >A DBA should atleast know about data dictionary views...In my opinion
> >-:)
> They were the ones that told me to try the environmental variable
> route even though they knew the real problem was figuring out what
> instance I was in. Oh well, we all make mistakes and sometimes don't
> listen exactly to the question because we are already formulating our
> response.
>

> >> If not, what resource(s) should I be using to learn this kind of
> >> stuff. DBA manuals?
> >You will only learn 10% of stuff from manuals what you can learn with
> >hands on experience. My suggestion...Download a free 1 user license
> >copy of Personal Oracle or Standard edition. Load it on your machine.
> >Download PLSQL Developer or TOAD and start getting dangerous with it.
> I've already got my linux server setup and have the CD's for Oracle. I
> just need to get some time to get it installed. Unfortunately, there
> are too many other demands on my time as well. I've been using Toad
> and PLSQL developer since I started in Oracle, but am trying to get
> away from Toad. It is a good tool, and is very helpful, but I am
> missing a lot of opportunities for learning as it hides too much from
> me. PLSQL Developer gets used only debugging.

You would be surprised how many people that throw DBA behind their name because it sounds impressive don't know that v$database and v$instance exist. Both would have answered your question.

Here's a three second test for whether your DBAs have a clue ... as them the following question.

What is sql.bsq?

I'll bet they have no idea.

Which means that if you study hard you will know more than them within a year.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 10:45:58 CDT