Re: The beginning with Oracle

From: Fred Pierce <fpierce_at_avialantic.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:14:04 -0400

Since the thread digressed into a discussion of download quality I'll have a shot at answering your original question.

First thing would be to narrow the topic a bit. "Learn Oracle" is enormous. Are you interested in administration, development, web applications, etc. etc.? Some searches of these newsgroups for learning Oracle, careers etc. will turn up some interesting discussions that might be helpful.

If you just want to "muck about," the Personal or Lite versions might be best, but none of them are meant to be used without some study and preparation. The good news is there's plenty of documentation on technet to help you. Since finding the right menus in technet is a bit tricky, here's a good starting point:
http://technet.oracle.com/software/products/8i_personal/content.html - then click on Documentation and peruse the getting started etc. to find out about the product. It's confusing because following the documentation link from the main screen takes you to the Enterprise stuff. You have to follow the download link to get to the other docs. Or something like that.

If you spend some time figuring out your goals and objectives, then you can recycle your question here for more specific help. It's good that you have Win2k - that'll work assuming you have plenty of disk space also.

Of course, you could just download Enterprise, start installing it, and then address a plea for help to Sybrand Bakker and Daniel Morgan. You'll get the quickest results if you mention that Oracle sucks and that you can do this with SQL Server.

ONLY KIDDING - DON'T DO THAT! fdp

Fred Pierce (DNRC)
Avialantic.com fpierce_at_avialantic.com
www.avialantic.com
MAAM Transportation Show 2002 - Sept. 21-22 www.maam.org/transhow.html