Re: Scottish names

From: Tweetie Pooh <tp601553_at_cia.gov>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:17:33 GMT

"Alan" <alanshein_at_erols.com> honoured comp.databases.oracle.misc on Wed 26 Jun 2002 07:56:01p with news:afd61q$demmv$1_at_ID-114862.news.dfncis.de:

> Yes. Users must enter a space after the Mc or Mac, or Di or De or di or de,
> etc. Then initial caps works. Now solve the O' problem.

and strictly speaking some name part should be left lower case eg van der. But the questioner wanted to know about existing entries.

Personally I would try to do this in stages. Maybe extract out the oddies by some rule eg contains MC or MAC into a simple list. Edit list to remove those not truely odd Process all entries simply.
Apply different rule to those in the list. Received on Fri Jun 28 2002 - 07:17:33 CDT