Re: PL/SQL and environmental variables

From: Rauf Sarwar <rsarwar_at_ifsna.com>
Date: 27 Jun 2002 18:46:51 -0700

Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3D1B2AE8.68FBC6FB_at_exesolutions.com>...
> Mark Rathbun wrote:
>
> > Thanks Sybrand. That was exactly what I was looking for.
> >
> > I am curious about about a couple of things though so please bear with
> > me. Anyone else with any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.
> >
> > As a developer, should I have known something like this? I've only
> > been working with Oracle for about 1 1/4 years but I can't use that
> > for an excuse much longer
> >
> > Or is this something that my DBA's should have known about?
> >
> > If not, what resource(s) should I be using to learn this kind of
> > stuff. DBA manuals?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mark
> >
> > On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:50:39 +0200, Sybrand Bakker
> > <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

> > >select * from global_name;
> > >
> > >select value
> > >from v$parameter
> > >where name = 'utl_file_dir';
> > >
> > >Hth
> > >

> > >Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> > >
> > >To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
>
> I make UTL_FILE a part of the curriculum at the university as I consider it
> to be as essential a piece of knowledge for developers as is SQL*Loader. But
> from my experience knowing the settings in the initSID.ora is something that
> should be known by both developers and DBAs: So both of you should have
> known.
>
> At 1 1/4 years you still have a little cover but you are running out of it
> rapidly. A DBA should either "know" or know enough to look it up.
>
> Daniel Morgan

> As a developer, should I have known something like this? I've only
> been working with Oracle for about 1 1/4 years but I can't use that
> for an excuse much longer

You can't possibly know something you have not done before or have not come across..Right? Knowledge is acquired over time. There will still be stuff which you won't know even after 10 years. But what you should know after 10 years is where precisely to go and get the information you are looking for.
Add comp.databases.oracle and some other Oracle newsgroups in your favorites folder.

> Or is this something that my DBA's should have known about?
A DBA should atleast know about data dictionary views...In my opinion -:)

> If not, what resource(s) should I be using to learn this kind of
> stuff. DBA manuals?

You will only learn 10% of stuff from manuals what you can learn with hands on experience. My suggestion...Download a free 1 user license copy of Personal Oracle or Standard edition. Load it on your machine. Download PLSQL Developer or TOAD and start getting dangerous with it.

HTH
//Rauf Sarwar Received on Thu Jun 27 2002 - 20:46:51 CDT