Oracle loses its fingers on the cutting edge

From: Mike Ault <mikerault_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 27 Jun 2002 12:23:14 -0700

Time for me to get rid of some negative energy by means of a rant...

As many of you know I write Oracle books, articles, white papers, etc. Recently I wrote an article for Oracle Magazine (the latest edition, check it out!) any way, comes time to get paid. Let me lay it out:

  1. Email to editor: Hey <name deleted> I haven't seen a contract yet
  2. Reply: You want a contract?
  3. Reply: well, yes...I would like to get paid
  4. Reply: Oh...(mean while article is already to printer in magazine) how much?
  5. Reply: How much do you usually pay?
  6. Reply: in the range of x to z...
  7. Reply: ok, since I haven't written for you in a while I'll take y.
  8. About a week later I get contract, sign and return it.
  9. About a week later, another email to editor: DO I need to send you an invoice?
  10. Reply: Oh...we need to send you a PO first...let me get that started
  11. Amazingly the PO shows up in eamil the next day
  12. Email to editor: Ok, who do I send invoice to?
  13. Reply: To purchasing, here is their email and fax number
  14. Fax and email invoice to Purchasing
  15. Reply from Purchasing: You need to send this to Accounts Payable
  16. Reply: Ok, what is their fax or email address?
  17. Reply: Oh, they don't accept fax or email submission, it must be by...you guesed it..regular mail!
  18. I mail the invoice
  19. Two weeks later....
  20. Email to editor: <name deleted> I still don't have anything from Oracle
  21. Reply: I checked with purchasing...they haven't recieved your invoice
  22. Reply: eh...I think you need to check with accounts payable (forwarded their email to me to him)
  23. Sent him copy of invoice, asked him to hand deliver...

And they tell us we need to use their B-to-B crap, we have no need to mail things back and forth and should do everything by the web when they can't even do it themselves. Physician heal thy self!

There...feel much better...

Mike Ault Received on Thu Jun 27 2002 - 14:23:14 CDT