Re: trigger script after archive log switch

From: Philip Brown <phil+s3_at_bolthole.no-bots.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 02:19:30 GMT

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:45:26 -0600, smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net wrote:
>> Yes, we have looked at the reopen option. That does not address the problem
>> of "the connection to the remote machine has been down through multiple
>> archive log writes". Or at least it didnt in our tests so far.
>> It merely wrote the latest log, leaving a gap in the log sequence.
>OK, so you seem to be unable to tolerate the possibility that an
>optional log_archive_dest_n parameter to an NFS mount might fail and
>cause a gap in the logs that are copied by Oracle, requiring manual
>intervention. So why not set your log_archive_dest_n parameter to
>mandatory? In other words, how serious are you that you must have the
>latest archive copied remotely?

Utter seriousness, up to, but NOT including, stopping the production database from running

> Yes, remote archiving might fail, NFS
>might fail, etc., all of which *could* lead to a halted production
>database. But what happens when your homegrown script fails? Your
>production database may not halt, but you'll still get a gap.

And when connectivity is restored to the remote site, the gap will *automatically* be filled in by the intelligent script. I'm a professional script writer (and device driver writer, for that matter). It's my job to handle odd quirky failure modes well. I can write a bulletproof script. I just want it triggered in optimal fashion.

>How important is this remote destination *really*? If it's important, set
>it mandatory and monitor your alert.log and v$archive_dest for archiving
>errors so that you can fix problems before the instance halts. If it's
>not that important, set it to optional and monitor your
>alert.log/v$archive_dest for errors to determine when manual
>intervention is necessary.

As I said above, the remote archive is very important, but still secondary to continued uninterrupted functioning of the production database. So it fits neither the mandatory criteria, nor the optional criteria.

With all the knobs and tweaks in oracle, I cant believe that there is no way for oracle to notify you when it has completed an archive. Astounding.

S.1618 http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D
http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html