Re: trigger script after archive log switch

From: Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:39:50 -0600

Philip Brown wrote:

> It's inefficient. The script would have to first check for the existance of
> the new file, then keep polling to see when oracle is done with it.
> It would be far cleaner to have oracle say when it is done with creating a
> new archived log.

Oracle does "say." If an archive is in v$archived_log, it has been archived and Oracle is done with it. If it's not in v$archived_log, it has not been archived. You seem to want Oracle to somehow proactively notify you when a row has been added to v$archived_log. Like a trigger on the tables which comprise v$archived_log that executes some sort of external procedure call to copy the archive to another destination? Sounds horribly messy and completely unsupported. Even if you could do something like this, what would happen if this external call to copy the file failed (for instance, if the remote destination was full)? Then what? I'd still like to know why multiple archive destinations fail to solve your problem.

Regards,
Sean M Received on Wed Jun 26 2002 - 18:39:50 CDT