Re: trigger script after archive log switch

From: Philip Brown <phil+s3_at_bolthole.no-bots.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:36:11 GMT

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:25:50 +0200, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl wrote:
>>[Philip Brown wrote]
>>Actually, more disaster recovers reasons. But security is also an issue.
>
>Implement a *proper* standby database. NOT your own. I have seen that
>in operation. It just DOESN'T WORK!

We do not want to implement a standby database at this time. We are looking to have a remote machine store reasonably up-to-date archive logs, for disaster recovery purposes. We already have a clustered database. So this other site is mainly for storing data, for by-hand recovery at a later time.
We may have multiple databases dumping their archive logs to this one machine. We dont want to be running 10 standby instances of oracle for this purpose.

Immediate startup of another database is not neccessarily a priority. However, having the most current set of data, *is*.

Yes, we have looked at the reopen option. That does not address the problem of "the connection to the remote machine has been down through multiple  archive log writes". Or at least it didnt in our tests so far. It merely wrote the latest log, leaving a gap in the log sequence.

The script to be triggered, will intelligently evaluate whether it needs to copy over just the latest archive log, or multiple ones that did not make it previously.

S.1618 http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D
http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html