Re: trigger script after archive log switch

From: Philip Brown <phil+s3_at_bolthole.no-bots.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:58:26 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:32:59 -0600, smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net wrote:
>Hi Philip-
>
>You seem to have 2 criteria that are at odds with each other: 1) you
>want to guarantee that an archive is copied to an alternate location the
>instant it is created but 2) you don't want to let Oracle do this for
>you (using multiple archive_log_dest params). You can't have both. If
>you want Oracle to guarantee that an archive is copied to an alternate
>location the instant it is created, you need to let Oracle do this
>through it's own built-in mechanisms.

I dont want to have Oracle guarantee that an archive is copied. I just want Oracle to tell me when the archive is created. I can take care of the guarantees on copy myself :-)

> If you don't want to use Oracle's
>built-in mechanisms which guarantee this copy,

It was my understanding that in no way does oracle guarantee the remote copy. It TRIES to make the copy, and if it doesnt make the copy, it marks the archive destination as failed, and no longer tries to write to it for future archive logs. (until you manually go in and bump it) Unless you mark it as mandatory, in which case, oracle wont run if the remote location is unavailable at that point.

Neither choice is acceptible to me, therefore, i want to be able to handle the copy/updates myself.

> you will have to poll
>(either the database itself via v$archived_log or the OS via ls, etc.)
>on some interval.

Is it kosher to put a trigger on v$archived_log for this purpose, then?

> If you're suggesting that your interval would be on
>the order of 1 second, you're implying that you need a *guaranteed* copy
>the instant the archive is created.

No, not that stringent. I want my script to be called reasonably quickly after the redo log has been archived.
After kicking off the script, oracle will continue running reguardless of what the script has to do, and the copy will take place at the system level, in the background.

>It might help matters if you could explain your multiple reasons for not
>wanting to use multiple archive destinations w/in Oracle (I assume this
>has something to do with security concerns),

Actually, more disaster recovers reasons. But security is also an issue.

> I'd also suggest you be very careful about checking to be sure
>Oracle is done with the file before initiating your copy.

absolutely :-)
But it would be nice if oracle would tell me "I'm done now", rather than a few redundant cycles of

S.1618 http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d105:SN01618:@@@D
http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html