Re: Oracle 10.8 vs. 11i: The Good, Bad, Ugly and Unknown

From: David Lord <davelord_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:38:18 +0200

IMO once the migration to 11i (from version whatever) is live, there is no possibility of going back, as the complexity of transferring data from 11i to an earlier version makes this cost and time prohibitive. If you have not gone live and 11i is not up to scratch then delaying the go-live is obviously a good idea. Also there is no support for 9i with 10.7 and this alone will make going back a non starter and anyway the data model is completely different. Remember all those jobs during the upgrade? Well running them in reverse order isn't an option etc etc. I could go on and on here, but the point is made.

10.7 (I assume you mean this and not 10.8 which doesn't exist as far as I know), is the terminal version of release 10 and has been effectively obsoleted by Oracle and will receive no bug fix support after June 2003 (read no more patches). It includes a number of technologies that are v. dodgy most of with are not supported as individual products anymore and have been, well er, forced to work for 10.7. This is worse for NCA than SC or Character. What this means is that you are going to have to upgrade at some point anyway.

You don't give too many details of the system that you have but most migrations fail because of either poor customisation in the source version, bad data that should have been cleaned in the upgrade steps but was not or inadequate patch control immediately after the upgrade.

"george lewycky" <gelewyc_at_nyct.com> wrote in message news:68aecc05.0206241158.5fd6ab2c_at_posting.google.com...
> We are currently battling Oracle and 11i under NT and I have suggested
> we revert back to 10.8 and I would like to hear from others in the field
> about this version.
>
> Can anyone tell me the good, bad and the ugly of the previous major
release
> and about the trials and tribulations with functions such as Customer
Interfaces