Re: problem with changing parameter lists

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 20:08:41 GMT

tony wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:30:53 GMT, Daniel Morgan
> <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >tony wrote:
> >
> >> Hi. We are periodically having problems after changing parameter
> >> signatures in pl/sql procedures. We do use "CREATE or REPLACE.." in
> >> the spec but still get a 404 from the browser when we try to access
> >> the page. This might happen for an hour or even longer but we have
> >> not been able to find any reason for it. Sometime changing the
> >> procedure name helps.
> >>
> >> Has anyone seen this before?
> >>
> >> oracle 8i on aix
> >>

> >404 is not an Oracle error message so it seems there is something you
> >aren't telling us that is important to understanding the problem.
> >
> HTTP 404 - File not found
> Internet Explorer
>
> The page cannot be found
> The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
> changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
>
> >What do you mean by "access the page"?
>
> One way of accessing the page in this case is by typing the url in the
> address text field of the browser.
>
> >What other software is in the mix?
>
> apache web server
>
> >Who wrote it?
> I wrote the pl/sql but I think you're talking about the "other
> software in the mix".
>
> cheers,
> tony
> 902.494.1021 w
> 902.461.4550 h

The error is not the database. I am not familiar enough with Apache errors to know whether that is the source. But the first thing I would do is take the output of the stored procedure and write it as a VARCHAR2(4000) into a table and examine it.

I would expect one of four outcomes:
1. The call never got to the proc
2. The proc errors out and you don't have an exception clause to catch it and report it
3. The proc returns a result set that is not what you think it is 4. The proc works perfectly and the prolem lies elsewhere.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jun 24 2002 - 15:08:41 CDT