Re: Checking if Oracle 9i is installed

From: Imprecise <f_puhan_at_precise.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 07:46:01 -0400

In article <af67vo$4hl$1_at_news.mch.sbs.de>,  "Ramya Priya" <priya.ramya_at_blr.spcnl.co.in> wrote:

> My application's installation program has to check if oracle 9.2 is intalled
> on the server, before creating a database for our application.
> For this reason, we need to check som file / registry key to see if oracle
> is installed. looks like that there is no straight forward way of doing it,
> insteag we have to check some installactions.log file or something like
> this.
> Is there any better way?

Why not do what the majority of software vendors do? Make the existence of Oracle 9.2 a REQUIREMENT. In the docs, specify the number, sizes and kinds of tablespaces your application requires and then require the existence of these as your requirement. Then, your installation program can connect to the instance, query V$VERSION (or PRODUCT_COMPONENT_VERSION) to ascertain the correctness of the version number.

--
The underscore character does not belong in my address. You know the drill...
***