Re: ORA-03113 (Please Read)

From: Jason Baugher <jason_at_baugher.pike.il.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 03:18:29 GMT

"Frank Liebelt" <frank.liebelt_at_acst.de> wrote in news:af5o9h$dm7$01$1 @news.t-online.com:

> Hi,
>
> i have the above problem while creating a db.
> I read lots of HowTo, Documentatios and and and.
> My problem in this case is that i have the following entry in my
> alertXXXX.log
> (last 2 lines)
> WARNING: EINVAL creating segment of size 0x000000000f400000
> fix shm parameters in /etc/system or equivalent
>
> I use Mandrake 8.1 and there is no /etc/system file or dir.
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem ?
>
> regard
> Frank

You need to modify the shared memory settings and rebuild the kernel. There are detailed settings and information in the Oracle Installation Guide for your particular Oracle Version, in the Pre-Installation section. If you don't have it, go to technet.oracle.com and get the installation guide online for free (you have to register for a free account).

If you don't know how to recompile your kernel, better ask on a linux group.

You also might want to check the various memory params in the init.ora file for the database instance and make sure you aren't trying to allocate more memory than is available to the system.

--
Jason Baugher
Virtual Adept Professional Consulting Services