Re: First time DB install !Help! -- I'm so new it's sickening

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:51:40 GMT

Andrew Falanga wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The deal is simple. Aside from the fact that I knew the name,
> until this week I knew nothing of Oracle. This week, at my bosses
> behest I installed Oracle for the first time in my life. (My boss by
> the way, does know quite a bit about Oracle.)
>
> I'm installing the 9i release 2 database (I hope I said that right,
> I know it's 9.2.0 or something like that) on to a Red Hat Linux box.
> Here's the deal. After reading the installation guide. Well, ok, I
> didn't exactly read all 252 pages of it, but I read the through the
> requirements, adjusted my shared memory settings, IP settings and so
> forth as stated in the manual (and setup the scripts to adjust those
> settings on bootup), I installed Oracle.
>
> The install appears to be fine. However, I'm to a point where I'm
> installing the Oracle Management Server, and it's asking me for a
> username/password combination as well as service. I didn't set up
> (chose to defer until later) the Oracle Net Server. In this senario,
> done this, and that's fine. However, I can't figure out what
> username/password to use.
>
> I tried the oracle user combination, but that didn't work. Said it
> was invalid. Just prior to getting to this window I had to give
> passwords to two users called SYS and SYSTEM. I've tried both of them,
> but it doesn't like them either. When I use the SYSTEM account I get
> invalid username/password. When I use SYS, it says that SYS should be
> specified as sysdba or sysoper. I then try sysdba or sysoper to no
> avail either.
>
> Is there a built in account that Oracle is expecting for this
> purpose? What is it? Does anyone have any ideas? By the way, I've
> tried to find the answer in the Installation Guide, but haven't found it
> yet.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Andy

You may be new ... but it is far from sickening.

The evidence:

1. You named the version.
2. You named the operating system.
3. You Read The Fine Manual and followed the instructions.

I think someone else has already given you the correct answer so I won't repeat it but I do want to acknowledge that this is an excellent example of the kind of person that deserves to be helped.

Welcome!

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Jun 21 2002 - 11:51:40 CDT