Re: Copy Command in SQL for Oracle 8 and up obsolete?

From: <Christopher.Jones_at_oracle.comX>
Date: 20 Jun 2002 23:10:53 +1000

drsmartz_at_yahoo.com (Andy) writes:

> I have looked everywhere after reading in an Oracle 7 manual that the
> copy command in version 8 and up of oracle will become obsolete.
>
> Is this a fact?

For each major release we have reviewed the COPY command. The decision has always been to keep it. COPY is available in all releases up to and including SQL*Plus 9.2. The decision to support it in the next major release after 9.2 has already been made - it will exist.

Following recent consultation, the current thoughts are that COPY is an integral part of SQL*Plus and should always remain unless unforeseen circumstances change this.

Note COPY is not a database SQL command; it is handled by the SQL*Plus client tool. With the COPY command, data passes across Oracle Net and through SQL*Plus. In many cases the CREATE TABLE AS SELECT command will be more efficient than COPY.

Chris

--
Christopher Jones, Oracle Corporation, Australia.