Re: How to get minutes????

From: Charlie Edwards <Charlie3101_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 20 Jun 2002 01:13:57 -0700

"William F. O'Neill" <wfoneill_at_mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<aer7mn$5sn$1_at_slb2.atl.mindspring.net>...
> Am using Powerbuilder 8.0.2 with Oracle9i on WIN2K
> Am attempting to create a report, in which I must take the 'time' value of
> one field and substract it from the 'time' value of another field, and have
> the result in minutes. I will of course use a 'computed field' to
> accomplish this, but nothing I've tried seems to work. Think the problem
> lies with how to do this with Oracle within PB. Time(log_end_date) -
> time(log_start_date) burps! Have a feeling I should use convert(), but don't
> know the parameters... Any hints?

In Oracle time comparisons work with day being the units. So to get the minute, you have to multiply by the number of minutes in a day.

i.e. (log_end_date - log_start_date) * 1440

You'd probably want to either ROUND or TRUNC the resulting value depending on your requirements.

Obviously this will be in the SQL statement that is directly accessing the database rather than within Powerbuilder (of which I know less than nothing)

CE Received on Thu Jun 20 2002 - 03:13:57 CDT