Re: Oracle SSL Authentication

From: Tony <os.tony_at_bridgeagency.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2002 08:27:13 -0700

> I'm not sure if I understand the problem. I see two possibilities:
> 1. Do you want to authenticate the user via SSL and then use that
> identity to connect to the database?
> In that case, the answer is "no." An OCI interface exists for doing
> that, but Netscape doesn't use it (at least as far as I know).
>
> 2. Do you want to authenticate the user via SSL and connect to the
> database using a separate user ID and password?
> Yes. SSL is not required, although I would suggest using some sort of
> encryption.
>
> Rick

Let me explain a little further. I have a website that currently uses ACL to require users to gain access to restricted content. They must register for a username and password. I want to add a shopping cart with SSL connectivity. But, since users have already registered at my site to gain ACL access, then I don't want them to have to reregister to use the shopping cart.

The problem I'm seeing is that I can't use one logon for both ACL and SSL connections. Since ACL is not secure (the usernames and passwords are encrypted however), this would be a security issue.

I'm trying to find a workaround for this...any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Tony Received on Tue Jun 18 2002 - 10:27:13 CDT