Re: interest of indexes ....

From: Chris Leonard <chris_at_databaseguy.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2002 15:43:31 -0700

Fred - Except for covered queries (this means a query where all the required data can be found in indexes without any access to the actual data heap), indexes will not help a query like the one you list: it's like handing somebody a phone book and saying "find everyone whose last name has an 'e' in it." Since your query is not covered, an index will not help.

HTH,
Chris

Chris Leonard
MCSE, MCDBA, MCT, OCP, CIW