Re: Oracle 8 Client compatible with Oracle 9 ?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:13:36 +0200

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:57:20 GMT, Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>"Nuno Gonçalves" wrote:
>
>> Hello all !
>> Does anyone knows if oracle 8 client is compatible with oracle 9 server ?
>> I have linux red hat 6.2 with oracle client 8 and sqlplus seems not to
>> connect
>> to the oracle 9 server !
>>
>> It connects to a oracle 8 server !
>>
>> thanks in advance...
>
>Why?
>
>Why take a chance on something being forward compatible?
>
>Why not just install the Oracle 9 client which IS backward compatible?
>
>If you have 9i you have the client so it is not like it is going to cost you
>money.
>
>Daniel Morgan

Sorry to contradict you, but this response is wrong. Downwards compatible means that a *lower version client* can connect to a *higher version database*.

So, actually the scenario above should work without problem.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Jun 17 2002 - 12:13:36 CDT