Re: ORCALE certify and training question

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:55:46 GMT

Ivan Demkovitch wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I like to start my new career with Oracle. Currently I'm VB and SQL Server
> developer.
> I know T-SQL and SQL Server itself good enough to be administrator.
>
> How would I start to learn Oracle?
>
> I got 9i Personal on my system and read couple books.
>
> I think I need to get certification but not sure what I need.
> Also I like to know which cert in most demand.
>
> Any advices, links will be appreciated.
>
> Thank you guys!
>
> P.S. DO I need all this ??? :-)))

Certification may get you an interview, and I emphasize MAY. But it will not get you a job.

The best thing to do is to take something you have previously built in SQL Server and duplicate it, from scratch, in Oracle. And to make sure that you do it the Oracle way rather than trying to clone the SQL Server logic. This means you need to understand multiversioning, understand the transaction model, understand the locking, and not use temp tables and other standard SQL Server kludges.

Then find a large company that offers internships or a non-profit where you can volunteer your time and get real experience and something to put on your resume while waiting for the economy to pick up again (likely just in time for the elections in 2004).

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jun 17 2002 - 10:55:46 CDT