Re: error while loading shared libraries: libclntsh.so.8.0

From: Chaz <chaz_at_ne-worcs.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:27:02 +0100

"Imprecise" <f_puhan_at_precise.com> wrote in message news:f_puhan-C88177.07511617062002_at_vienna7.his.com...
> In article <aek6u9$7ev6v$1_at_ID-117927.news.dfncis.de>,
> "Chaz" <chaz_at_ne-worcs.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I have set up the Oracle 8.1.7 client on a RedHat 7.3 server, and I
cannot
> > get sqlplus to run - it produces the following error:
> >
> > ./sqlplus: error while loading shared libraries: libclntsh.so.8.0:
cannot
> > open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > I have done some research, and the common solution is to add the Oracle
/lib
> > to LD_LIBRARY_PATH. However, doing so does not work for me because I
cannot
> > find the file libclntshh.so.8.0 anywhere on the server, using either
locate
> > or find. I installed the Oracle client using the file
> > http://download.oracle.com/otn/linux/oracle8i/linux81701.tar
> >
> > I am grateful for any help getting it working.
>
> First, let me emphasize that this absolutely MAY NOT WORK.
>
> Having encountered this scenario once or twice before, I found that
> SOMETIMES the trick is to create a symlink to libclntsh.so.1:
>
> % ln -s $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libclntsh.so.1 $ORACLE_HOME/lib/libclntsh.so.8.0
>
> Hth
>
> --
> The underscore character does not belong in my address. You know the
drill...
> ***
> Anyone sufficiently smart enough to configure and use USEnet for research
should
> be smart enough to Read The Freakin' Documentation!

Thank you very much for your reply, I am glad you offered the solution even if it might not have worked. Unfortunately i don't have a libclntsh.so.1 in $ORACLE_HOME/lib.... I cant find any file matching libclnt* anywhere on the server. I find it unusual that Oracle would bundle the software without a necessary library... is there something else i can download to make it work, that includes this file?

Regards, Chris. Received on Mon Jun 17 2002 - 08:27:02 CDT