Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_pobox.une.edu.au>
Date: 16 Jun 2002 16:12:52 +1000

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> writes:

> Do I agree that you have to understand what you manage. Yes, absolutely.
> Does that mean technical skill in the sense of say CISCO qualifications or
> In depth Oracle knowledge. I think the answer is probably not. ISTM that a
> broad understanding of what IT is and can do, and most especially the
> business strategy and processes of your organisation is key. In depth
> knowledge shouldn't be required, an ability to distinguish between BS and
> reasoned argument is. Apart from anything else technical skills do go out of
> date rapidly and when not being used on a regular basis.

I agree. However, too often I come across managers who have a very poor conceptual understanding at any level. As a manager I think you probably need a very broad and less deep understanding than specific technical skills in a narrow area. One thing I have observed which I think is a shame is the move of many universities/colleges etc towards less general degrees, such as a broad computing science degree, to more specific degrees which provide things like MS certification. I think its much better to get a very broad coverage and a well developed ability to learn, research and develop problem solving skills, than to be taucht a specific technology - its the only way you can adapt in the rapidly changing world of IT.

Tim Received on Sun Jun 16 2002 - 01:12:52 CDT