Re: bizzare problem with to_number

From: fabienne hadkova <fh_at_q-bus.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:32:44 +0200

> Looks like a disaster import from a disaster database. Anyone using a
> varchar2 for number columns must be out of their minds.
> Your export has been done using WE8ISO8859P1 and you are importing
> (because you didn't set NLS_LANG) using the US7ASCII characterset, so
> you will get character set conversion.
> Also you will need to verify NLS_TERRITORY and NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS
> settings on those various disaster databases.
> You are aware the to_char and to_number functions allow you to specify
> NLS_* parameters?
>
> Hth
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Hello, thanks for your answer
It IS a disaster database and I am responsible for the disaster import (just a beginner with oracle). Thanks, I'll redo the import setting NLS_LANG. Still, I don't really understand why the same column can have fields behaving differently, can this be because of the charachter set conversion? But if yes, is it possible that the conversion would not be consistent? I am aware that those 2 functions allow to spcify NLS_* parameters only, since the format is diffenrent in the same column, I do have a problem in any case.
Fabienne Received on Sat Jun 15 2002 - 03:32:44 CDT