Re: bizzare problem with to_number

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 10:15:59 +0200

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:47:06 +0200, "fabienne hadkova" <fh_at_q-bus.com> wrote:

>sorry, I forgot to write this, maybe it helps, this is the output of imp:
>
>import done in US7ASCII character set and WE8ISO8859P1 NCHAR character set
>import server uses WE8ISO8859P1 character set (possible charset conversion)
>export client uses WE8ISO8859P1 character set (possible charset conversion)
>
>thanks
>fabienne

Looks like a disaster import from a disaster database. Anyone using a varchar2 for number columns must be out of their minds. Your export has been done using WE8ISO8859P1 and you are importing (because you didn't set NLS_LANG) using the US7ASCII characterset, so you will get character set conversion.
Also you will need to verify NLS_TERRITORY and NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS settings on those various disaster databases. You are aware the to_char and to_number functions allow you to specify NLS_* parameters?

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Jun 15 2002 - 03:15:59 CDT