Re: Database Links expose passwords

From: Rauf Sarwar <rsarwar_at_ifsna.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2002 20:00:42 -0700

Forte Agent <1443131_at_usenetplanet.com> wrote in message news:<fcfkgusmc97oln6jsm3chjt1t499l0d3oh_at_4ax.com>...
> We have a schema S1 in database D1 which is shared by developers.
> Developers know its password. We also have a schema S2 in database
> D2, which is restricted. However, the developers using S1 schema in
> database D1 need to access tables in S2 schema of database D2, using a
> database link. If we create a database link in S1 schema, they will
> be able to see password of S2 by simply running "select * from
> user_db_links;". How can we set up a database link between D1
> database and D2, so that S1 schema can read tables in S2 without
> exposing password of S2 schema? Thank you in advance.

Create a user in D2 e.g. DBLINK_USER. GRANT this user CONNECT privileges and access to those objects in S2 schema which developers need to work on. Then use this user to establish a DB_LINK between D1 and D2. Now you have a PUBLIC DB_LINK user who has a restricted access to S2 schema without exposing S2 schema's password. Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 22:00:42 CDT