Re: default tablespace for indexes

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:04:52 GMT

Jon Waterhouse wrote:

> Is there a way to specify a default tablespace for indexes the same way that
> there is for tables created in a schema, or must the TABLESPACE whatever
> always be included in the CREATE INDEX command?
>
> Thanks (using 8i and 9i - the 9i starter database comes with an INDX
> tablespace I think I should be using more than I am).
>
> Jon

You have misunderstood default tablespace.

There is no default tablespace for tables. There is just 'a' default tablespace for everything you build.

It is up to developers to either let it, by default, all throw itself into a single tablespace or demonstrate judgement and an understanding of their system's I/O to put things where they belong.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Jun 13 2002 - 17:04:52 CDT