Re: Oracle 9i DBA jobs

From: Blaine Jones <seismo123_at_alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:23:14 -0400

Lenceman - In the U.S. this job market is so bad right now (in general - I couldn't really say about Oracle in particular) that certs mean virtually nothing.
A friend of mine was laid off from Unisys coming up on a year ago. He has been extremely productive in the interim, using his time off to take test after test and earn cert after cert... Including a couple of security related credentials (Checkpoint, CISSP), as well as some O/S (unix AND Microsoft).
He has also gone to MANY interviews. None seem too impressed with the certifications he has achieved and he has been hit with many technical questions on interviews. In short, the certs *used* to be highly valued. These days potential employers can be extremely picky and don't regard them as highly as they may have a year ago. I believe they see it as more of a challenge to see if you really know your stuff. What's the point of all this?

The point is, go for your cert - but don't expect it to get your foot in the door like it may have last year.
You may just have to prove to an interviewer that you know the stuff that your certification says you do.

Blaine