Re: Data from Oracle to Sybase

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:41:41 GMT

Amy Schuele wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We need to copy some of our data from an Oracle 8i database to
> our Sybase ASE database.
>
> I've looked at the Oracle Export utility, but can't find a way for
> us to parse the binary that it is saved into.
>
> We can write a perl script to get the data, save it in Perl to a data
> structure
> and insert it into our Sybase database, but that will be very slow.
>
> I'd like to find some way to dump the data from Oracle so we can use
> bcp to load it into Sybase. Do any of you know what Oracle tool will
> allow me to do this?
>
> Thanks!
> Amy
> aschuele_at_ncsa.uiuc.edu

Likely the easiest way will be one of the following two:

  1. spool off insert statements that can be run in Sybase. For example:

   spool c:\temp\mydata.dat

   SELECT 'INSERT INTO sometable VALUES ' || and then concatenate together the rest of the insert statement.

   spool off

2. spool of the data in a delimited format.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jun 10 2002 - 10:41:41 CDT