Re: ODBC Driver differences

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:36:28 +0100

"Jim Smith" <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:iFaiZsAMjEB9EwgH_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk...
> The null thing wasn't the best example to choose there were more
> problems in other areas.
> I've pinned these down a bit further. All the oracle numbers come back
> as type vbDecimal (vartype 14) and VBScript can't seem to cope with
> that, _even if both numbers in a comparison are vbDecimal!_ It seems
> its not an ODBC thing but a problem with VBScript. I am resigned to
> putting cint and clng all over the several hundred asp files.

I'm afraid you're right. The thing is they don't really come back as vbDecimal. They really come back as variant. The 'types' in vbscript are in fact all subtypes of variant. Which is just crap really. The good news (at least for us folks who have to support these RAD web applications ) is that .net is a properly typed environement with decent exception handling etc. Once the folk who have only known vb scripting get to grips with a proper programming environment I'd expect a lot of this rubbish to go away.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA