Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 21:20:38 +1000

In article <a8c29269.0206081606.1cf62331_at_posting.google.com>, you said (and I quote):

> the layoffs were Oracle people. But there were no
> layoffs of java people, or business analysts.

Of course.

> The management does not want the other java people
> or analysts to learn Oracle.

IME, Java people are totally unable to learn ANYTHING, let alone database software or theory...

> The analsyts are
> supposed to come up with something; I am supposed
> to then figure out how to implement it. So, systems are
> designed by beginners who do not develop in Oracle,
> or study database design. It's like they consider Oracle
> an extension of the operating system, that can
> be modified with their mouse.

Exactly. Thank Mr. Sun and their J2EE deranged technology for this. The darn thing is about as old in terms of its structure as CICS. But watch all the mainframe fanatics giving it lip service: it plays right into the hands of IBM and their circus. These Sun people are so stupid they haven't yet realized they are digging their own graves...

Roll on .NET. J2EE and these Java idiots need some SERIOUS competition soon. So that all these deranged people and their "designers" realize once and for all that this industry needs a 30 year retrofit like it needs a punch in the face!

> So, I wonder about the future as an Oracle
> professional.

Nill. I've been warning about it here for nearly a year, but no one listens. If someone asked me today to spend $$$ in training for OCP, I'd seriously question their intelligence and/or motivation.

> What is your experience? What is your ratio of
> Oracle expertise, to those with none? (By expertise,

Same as yours. And I have to put up with a deranged team of selfappointed  design "experts" who insist on "teaching" me how to store data in a database via an EJB. Like anyone needs a science degree to figure it out...

> too much development to do? Does management see
> no value in having any other tech people learn
> Oracle?

Yes. Not needed.

> Do you no longer have time to read or
> answer the newsgroups?