Re: Any Good Resources for SAP/Oracle ???

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:28:21 +1000

In article <adp0no$7ln$1_at_nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, you said (and I quote):

> Anyway, I thought I'd see if anybody here knows of a good site or book.

there ain't. Basically, with SAP you just sit and watch how it breaks your db performance apart...

Get ready for some MONSTER caching in the SGA, only way to make it perform somewhat with Oracle (or any other RDBMS for that matter). The darn thing insists in using its own moronic allocation schemes based on "flat file theory" and MSAM indexes and there is preciously little you can do to fix it. Particularly with R3.

Most ungratifying job out there, to be a SAP dba. I'd rather stay with Peoplesoft: with all their defects at least they make some sense of using a RDBMS. SAP just uses it as a flat file system. Which is deranged. To put it mildly.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto