Re: Newbie - General Questions

From: Doc435 <Doc435_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 20:08:04 -0400

> 1. Do I need to create a different logon for each DB?
>
> 2. What is the Host (Connect) String and how do I apply one if needed?
>
> 3. How do I create different DB files (like in Acces ie. QTAX.mdb,
> TRS.mdb) without having to create an entire new Oracle Database (or am I
> understanding it wrong)?
>
> bottom line is that I want to understand how to create and/or manage
> different files, amd/or different databases.
> Any information, even if only to one questions is a geat help. Thank you.

Short answers...
1.) No Instances can be set up to trust each other or even belong to 'groups' of 'databases' with a single login for all of them 2.) The host string is the 'roadmap' that SQLNet will use to connect the client application to the server
3.) Hard to oneline answer this one but here goes...Creat a new tablespace ( a logical construct containing one or more physical files)

I would suggest that you check out the Concepts Guide by Oracle, look into picking up a copy of 'Oracle 8i: The Complete Reference' by Oracle press, and spend some time with the Oracle doc set in general. (BTW...The only reason I suggest the 8i version is that I saw it recently discounted to $14.99 U.S. , and 80%-90% of it will be relevent for some time)

Hope this helps Received on Thu Jun 06 2002 - 19:08:04 CDT