Re: DATA ADMINISTRATION

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 20:27:00 GMT

Marco Aurelio Ribeiro wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Iīve been a Data Adminsitrator for over 10 years now, and I still see some
> misconcepts about the function. All opinions will be welcome on the
> following topics:
>
> - Does the DA function have to do with the physical environment(Oracle,DB2
> or other) - I donīt think so.
> - Does the DA have to be under the development group or directly related to
> the adminstrative staff? I believe itīs on the second group
> - Is the DA function technical(related to the first question) or purely
> conceptual, once the DA is the enterpriseīs information keeper. I believe
> itīs more conceptual than any other function in IT.
>
> I thank you all in advance for sharing your ideas,
> Marco

I think that to be a database administrator the first thing required is flexibility.

There are no hard and fast rules with respect to any of your questions. Different organizations have different organizational structures and rules. If you want to make your own rules ... make your own organization. Unless what you are being asked to do is illegal or immoral ... right and wrong are defined by the guy who signs the paycheck.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Jun 06 2002 - 15:27:00 CDT